- Portage APL can only accept dogs that have been rescued or secured by APL staff, or dogs that are actually owned by residents of Portage County. A current dog license is evidence of ownership.
You are hereGiving up your pet
Giving up your pet
Portage APL provides an admissions service for those who must give up their pet or turn in an animal. This is done on a space-available- basis, depending on the shelter’s financial status. There also are a few restrictions:
- The shelter is not allowed by Ohio law to accept stray dogs. All stray dogs must be referred to the County Dog Warden. Call the Warden’s office at 330-297-6924. Emergency after hours phone number is 330-296-5100. In Kent call the 673-3486 (non-emergency) number.
- To provide you and your pet with the best service, we suggest you make an appointment for admission. Call the shelter at 330-296-4022 during business hours.
- There will be a surrender charge to take your pet.
- Do not attempt to abandon your animal at the shelter. Surveillance video may be used to prosecute. Abandonment is against the law.